lundi 6 septembre 2010

Day one.

It is true. I have arrived. Early in the morning. The man sharing my row mentioned to me upon finding out that I was going to Dakar/Thies that I would feel at home. He was not far off. Disembarking and going through the motions of customs bag xray smallglassroom meetinggreeting walking through muddyrainstreets shakinghands riding to chambredepassage at 6am when everyone is asleep finally falling asleep myself...it is real. AND like I said before, I have arrived.

My moments here begin in the rainy season. Everything was soaked with prior moisture. I awoke to humid heat and bright sun(shine). I rolled around wiping the dreams from my eyes. Life has suddenly become surreal versions of linguistic customs and other obscure oddities. My new roommates, some of which are staying, others which are going, invited me to join them for brunch...I dress in a lesslong skirt and a light white-t-shirt...slap on sandals and prance downstairs...the sun is so intense and bounces off the rubble. The piles of rocks and tile that are strategically placed so as to improve the drivability of the roads during the rain often are nuisances when the rain is gone. My first taxi ride...the two veteran girls bargain get a decent price and we hope in only to hope out two seconds later when the driver changes his mind...new cab and we are on our way...brunch yum, honey pancakes freshpressed apple juice. Then N'ice cream...obama flavor delicious. And I was under the impression you couldn't get good icedtreats here...The lighthouse next where we sat on the cliff face soaking in sun listening to the waves looking out over the city. It was a long walk but so worth it! Right next to here is the symbol of African Renaissance...the largest sculpture in the world. Yes, the largest...and at the same time slightly ridiculous, but totally amazing. Back home in time to skirt the rain...sitting on the rooftop with the girls listening to the loudspeakers shout islamic prayers. Buying some bread and yogurt...then time for sleep...

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire